1 Slice 8” sponge cake*
A. 250g cream cheese
370g fresh milk
60g plain flour, sieved
B. 5 egg yolks
20g lemon juice
C. 5 egg whites
100g castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 180’C. Line a 8” round cake tin with grease proof paper and put in a piece of prepared sponge cale.
- Double-boil fresh milk and cream cheese until dissolved. Add plain flour, stir and cook until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Add B and stir well.
- Whisk C at high speed until soft peak is formed. Slowly mix in mixture (2).
- Strain the cheese mixture on top of sponge cake
- Steam bake the cake in a preheated oven at 180’C for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 140’C and bake for another 1 hour and 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Leave cake to cool in the oven with door ajar 1 hour. Chill in the fridge for 4 hours. Remove cake from tin and place onto a cake board. Cut into pieces and serve.
Recipe for Sponge Cake*
80g plain flour, sieved
35g fresh milk or 2tbsp water
60g castor sugar
50ml corn oil
- Preheat oven to 180’C. Line a 8” round baking tin with grease proof paper.
- Whisk sponge cake ingredients at high speed until fluffy. Lower the speed, add in corn oil and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin and bake in the preheated oven at 180’C for 25-30 minutes or until cooked. Remove cake from tin and leave to cool on wire rack.
- Slice the cake into 3 layers.
Note:-Wrap the sliced cake separately with plastic wrapper and store in the freezer. Remove from freezer, leave to thaw for 1 hour before using.